[sane-devel] Q: Performance Tip wanted, USB vs. SCSI HP 63xx Scanner

Peter Kirchgessner peter@kirchgessner.net
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:23:48 +0100

Hello Juergen,

I don't have a solution. But I can tell what's going on. The scan speed
of the scanner can not be reduced any more. The speed mode "slow" gives
the same speed as "auto" and "normal". Above about 200 dpi the scanner
generates more data than USB can transfer to the computer. Thus the
scanner must stop, move the carriage back and restart scanning. Thus per
move only a small strip can be scanned.

I would like to know what other scanners (Epson, Miicrotek,...) are
doing when scanning over USB ? Can they reduce their scan speed to avoid
stopping the carriage ?

BTW: I don't have problems with preview scan in xsane 0.81. It scans
continuously from top to bottom.

--Peter

--
Peter Kirchgessner