[sane-devel] Automatic scanner recognition not working

Tue, 2 Oct 2001 22:21:54 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 03:34:14PM -0400, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> How do I make my scanner recognizable by sane under Linux 2.4.10,
> other than creating a /dev/scanner link?  I have a scsi scanner
> connected as the first ID on the SCSI bus:

> |   Vendor:          Model: Scanner 636A4    Rev: 1.50
> |   Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I think this is the problem mentioned some days ago: If one of the
fields is empty (spaces only) the scanner is not detected. This is
fixed in current CVS.

> Since most of the times I boot up with the scanner unpowered, and then
> tell the kernel to add the scsi device, the scanner becomes /dev/sg3.
> However, if I boot up with the scanner ON, it is assigned /dev/sg0.
> As you can see, creating a /dev/scanner link is problematic.

You may try to add /dev/sg3 and /dev/sg0 to microtek2.conf and try if
this works. No guaranties from me but as you don't seem to have hard
discs everything should be ok. SANE checks both devices and looks for
a scanner.