[sane-devel] SANE and XSane on HP-UX

Tue, 2 Oct 2001 22:42:10 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:14:08AM +0200, Michael Piotrowski wrote:
> I've just built, installed and successfully tested SANE 1.0.5 with an
> Epson Perfection 1640SU on an HP C200 running HP-UX 10.20 and and a HP
> B1000 running HP-UX 11.00.  It works great--many thanks to everybody
> involved in the SANE effort!

Thanks for this informations.

> - One very little patch to sane-find-scanner: In line 397, instead of
>   "__hpux__", it should say "__hpux".

Now fixed in CVS.

> - In sanei/sanei_init_debug.c, line 51, for HP-UX it should say
>   <syslog.h> instead of <sys/syslog.h>.

This one was already fixed in CVS.

> - For HP-UX 11: HP-UX 11 supports dlopen() so backend/dll.c, line 264f
>   should be modified to look somewhat like this:

[...]

>    since the extension for shared libraries is still .sl (and SANE
>    assumes this when loading backends on HP-UX).

Changed in CVS now.

> (Is this sufficient notice, or should I contact someone directly with
> a patch file?)

sane-devel is usually the right place for such discussions/proposals
if the patch/change doesn't get too long.

> SANE can be compiled with the HP ANSI C Compiler or GCC.  On HP-UX 11
> in 64-bit mode, if using the HP Compiler, for reasons having to do
> with dlopen(), I would recommend to use the +DA2.0W option to generate
> a 64-bit executable. (GCC can only produce 32-bit executables and
> behaves like on 10.20).

Currently, README.hp-ux states:

| Under HP-UX, it is necessary to add options -Aa and -D_HPUX_SOURCE to
| the compiler flags when using HP's C compiler (not gcc).  This can be
| done by invoking configure with:
|
| CC=cc CPPFLAGS=-D_HPUX_SOURCE CFLAGS=-Aa ./configure

Sorry for my cluelessness: Is -D_HPUX_SOURCE necessary, or does it
harm in your case? What's the difference between -Aa and -Ae? Maybe
you can rewrite the README.hp-ux for us?

Thanks. Oliver, can you put this on www.mostang.com?