[sane-devel] [Firmware File Question] Snapscan e20

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 17:25:35 +0200

Hi,

> I run Sane with my usb snapscan e20 scanner
> whithout any firmware file and nevr noticed any
> problems until today.
> Is this a normal use of the program ?
>
> Should I use a firmware file ?
> or is it necessary only for one that notice
> problems whithout it ?

As far as I know most Agfa / Acer USB scanners require a firmware download
before they can be used. The scanner may still work without uploading
firmware, but maybe with limited functionality. I don't know the details for
the e20, so you have to decide yourself if you need the firmware upload.

For some scanners the scanner ID changes after the firmware upload (as far as
I know this is also the case for the snapscan e20). This means they are
treated differently by the backend if firmware is uploaded.

Regards,

Oliver