[sane-devel] Compilation warning in SANE CVS

Peter Kirchgessner peter@kirchgessner.net
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:44:26 +0200

Hi,

the warnings are a good tool to discover problems during development.
Reducing the number of warnings can be a good idea. But this depends on
the type of warning.
Some of them could only be solved by adding dummy code ("unused
parameter" in functions called through arrays of pointers to functions).
In that situation I don't change the code just to please the compiler.
BTW: the kernel is not as clean as you believe. It can not be compiled
at all with the compiler options used in SANE-CVS. After removing
-pedantic and -ansi it will generate more than 19.000 warnings . These
are about 17.000 of type "no previous prototype", about 2000 of type
"cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type" and about 50 of type
"pointer of type `void *' used in arithmetic".

--Peter