[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner no longer finding scanner on mdk8.1

sane@michael.mailshell.com sane@michael.mailshell.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:52:37 -0700

I have a Cannon FS2710:

[root@corwin@mir scsi]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: CANON    Model: IX-27025E        Rev: 1.13
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: RICOH    Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A  Rev: 1.1k
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This dir has nothing in it: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0

It worked fine until I reinstalled Mandrake 8.1. Now sane-find-scanner no longer detects it. I did have it running with Mdk8.0 under the same kernel... I have no clue how to make entries in /dev (other than sym links), and I thought the devfs junk was suppose to do that transparently.

Harddrake shows:
Vendor: CANON
Model: IX-27025E
Device: Unknown
Bus Type: SCSI

On another topic either powering up or down my Epson USB scanner locks my system solid every time. I just got both scanners, and I find sane to be much more productive than any windows solution I've used. It was very easy to get the Epson USB scanner working. Does anyone have a perl-gimp script for document scanning? I came up with

scanimage -d epson:/dev/usb/scanner0 --quick-format Letter --resolution 200 --mode gray | convert -colors 8 -antialias -quality 100 - png:- | pngquant 8 > image.png

but it does not do as good of job (quality & size) as gimp does. It also does not auto crop, but even Gimp's Zealous Crop does not seem to work good for receipts, probably because they are white receipts on a white background.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help,
Michael Bushey