[sane-devel] Brand-Newbie question

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:29:13 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 01:16:29PM +0000, Jim George wrote:
> I've just installed sane with the mustek_pp backend.
>
> I had no /dev/scanner entry in my /dev directory therefore, after much
> scrabbling around and guessing, I created a symbolic link from /dev/lp0 to
> /dev/scanner.

Don't do this. /dev/scanner is only for the SCSI-Backends. Now every
SCAI-backend will try to access your scanner as a SCSI device and will
fail. As far as I know the mustek_pp backend doesn't use the /dev
entries at all.

> I chose /dev/lp0 as this is the entry in /etc/printcap  that equates to
> the lp printer, and my mustek 1200cp scanner (CIS chipset with the
> software patch from Eddy DeGreef) shares that port.

I'm not an parport expert, but /dev/lp0 is really the printer device
and not the parport.

> Can someone tell me what I've done wrong, or have missed?

Try (as root)
SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_PP=255 SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_PA4S2=255 scanimage -L
to find out why it doesn't work.