[sane-devel] Plustek scanner

Keith Bates newlifenarrabri@yahoo.com.au
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:31:30 +1000

--------------000101050807000500000602

> On Wednesday 19 September 2001 01:22 am, I wrote this message and got some helpful replies from Ryan, michael and Jerry.:
>
>> Keith Bates, Mit, 19 Sep 2001 :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just joined the list and just starting with SANE. Please bear with
>>> me if I'm being stupid :-)
>>>
>>> I've got a Plustek OpticPro 4831P scanner which plugs in via the printer
>>> port. This scanner is on the list of supported scanners. I've installed
>>> the latest version of SANE, but when I try to run it via the GIMP it
>>> tells me no scanner was found.
>>>
>>> I've gone through the configure-make-make install routine for both
>>> sane-backend and xsane.
>>>
>>> If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I would be one happy camper!
>>
> Jerry replied:

> Kieth
>
> did you set the dll.conf file in sane.d?
> comment out everything except    net,plustek ,v41
>
> also because it's on the para  port  an ordinary user does NOT have the right
> permissions to use it so you will have to use the "net" device to ascess it.
> read doc for saned and sane,net
>
> just to check try running xsane as root to see if it works.     however DO NOT
> NORMALLY USE AS ROOT!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> hope this helps
> Jerry

Since then I have installed the Plustek back end, I've checked all the
files which are mentioned in the sane-plustek man, I've modified the
dll.conf file as recommended by Jerry and I've modified
/etc/modules.conf as below:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 ne
alias synth0 awe_wave
alias sound-slot-0 sb
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
alias char-major-40    pt_drv
pre-install pt_drv modprobe -k parport
options pt_drv lampoff=180 warmup=15 port=0x378 lOffonEnd=0 mov=0
slowIO=1 forceMode=0

The file /usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf contains just one line:

/dev/pt_drv

When I run scanimage -L as root or as myself, I just get the message :
No scanners were identified, if you were expecting something different
check the scanner is plugged in... etc.

The scanner works under windows so it's not a hardware problem.

Can you please tell me what to do next??

Thank you!!!

God bless you,

Keith Bates
4 Mooloobar St
Narrabri NSW 2390

Phone: 02 67924890
Fax: 02 67925418

www.worship.to/newlife

If you don't have a reason to live

JESUS IS THE ANSWER!

Ask him into your life today...
He really does make a difference.

--------------000101050807000500000602

      <pre wrap=""><!---->Jerry replied:</pre>
        <pre class="moz-signature">
end, I've checked all the files which are mentioned in the sane-plustek man,
I've modified the&nbsp; dll.conf file as recommended by Jerry and I've modified
/etc/modules.conf as below:<br>
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc<br>
alias eth0 ne<br>
alias synth0 awe_wave<br>
alias sound-slot-0 sb<br>
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L &gt;/dev/null 2&gt;&amp;1 || :<br>
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S &gt;/dev/null 2&gt;&amp;1 || : <br>
alias char-major-40 &nbsp;&nbsp; pt_drv<br>
pre-install pt_drv modprobe -k parport<br>
options pt_drv lampoff=180 warmup=15 port=0x378 lOffonEnd=0 mov=0 slowIO=1 forceMode=0<br>
/dev/pt_drv<br>
When I run scanimage -L as root or as myself, I just get the message : No
scanners were identified, if you were expecting something different check
the scanner is plugged in... etc.<br>
The scanner works under windows so it's not a hardware problem.<br>
Can you please tell me what to do next??<br>
Thank you!!!<br>
        <pre class="moz-signature">God bless you,

Keith Bates
4 Mooloobar St
Narrabri NSW 2390

Phone: 02 67924890