[sane-devel] Canoscan FB630U

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:08:49 GMT

Hi Nathan,

----- Origineel Bericht -----
Van: nathan rutman <nathan@gordian.com>
> Continuing preliminary work on the driver for the Canon FB630U,
> I've posted the code I have so far to
> http://www.gordian.com/~nathan/linux.html
>
> I have all the USB communication with the scanner working.  I
> think I
> have all the calibration messages captured as well, but could use some
> help in figuring out their purpose.

The USB communication is almost identical to what I see between my
PC and my HP3300c scanner (which is actually a parallel port
scanner-on-a-chip with a IEEE1284-USB bridge built-in).

In function fb630u_write_byte you remark:
/* I'm just gonna call this sequence "write" for shorthand. I'm not 100%
   positive that's what it is, but evidence seems strong.  I'm not sure
   what purpose the index value serves. */
I wondered too about the index value. In my testcode for the HP3300
I just the index to 0 and it works fine.

It looks like you are using a customised scanner.c module.
I need to do that too for my HP3300c, because I need to do control
transfers. A few other scanners also seem to require a custom module.

Perhaps we can make a proposal for a set of new semi-official IOCTLs
for this purpose so that custom scanner.c modules are no longer needed.

Kind regards,
Bertrik