[sane-devel] Re: iscan / xsane

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:56:47 -0400

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

The iscan software uses two controls to determine the final scan resolution:
- the resolution selector
- the scale slider

You can actually see which resolution the frontend specifies by setting the
debug variable:
export SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=3D3

Then run iscan and right after you start a scan (better use only a very sma=
ll
area, otherwise you may not be able to find the resolution output). For the
1600 dpi scanner you have a maximum selectable resolution of 1200 dpi, and
the scaling slider has a max. setting of 200% - if you select both max valu=
es
the scanner will scan with a resolution of 2400dpi. If you want 1600 dpi, t=
hen
use 1200 dpi base resolution and a scale factor of 1600/1200 =3D 1.3333.. -=
 so
you would either select 133 or 134, both give you "about 1600dpi".=20

I'll take a look at the software later so see if the 1600 dpi entry can be
added to the resolution selector.

Karl Heinz

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 07:53:45PM +0200, f5ibh wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> After the message of Karl Heinz Kremer <khk@khk.net>, I've loaded, instal=
led
> the frontend from EPSON KOWA and used the upgraded backend.
>=20
> I've tested both iscan and xsane with this backend with an Epson 1640SU P=
hoto.
>=20
> iscan :
> -------
> - The interface of iscan is easy to use, but has some missing features (l=
ike
> the histogram).
> - It allows only few resolution for the scan (75, 150, 300, 600, 1200 dpi=
). I
> cannot scan at 1600dpi which is the optical resolution of the scanner.
> - The results for the scan of negatives is very good.
>=20
> xsane :
> -------
> - Offers all the features we can need
> - Works with the improved backend.
> - Offers (together with sane-backend) all the resolutions supported by the
>   scanner.
> - Gives poor results while scanning negatives.
>=20
> About negatives : I've answered several times Oliver question about the n=
ew
> feature of xsane for the negatives, but it seems that there are sometimes
> problems with the list :
> The negatives are always _very_ pale. They are not usable "as is". I pref=
er
> to use Karl Heinz tip with The Gimp. At the opposite, the negatives from =
iscan
> are quite perfect, I've only to remove the dust after the scan.
>=20
> Best regards
> 		Jean-Luc

--=20