[sane-devel] Problems to scan with xsane (Mustek MFS-12000CX)

Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:25:10 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:26:23AM +0200, Gernot Keller wrote:
> I installed on my PC SUSE Linux Version 7.2 (Personal Edition).
> I have an ADAPTEC-SCSI Adapter AVA-1505 installed in my
> System and a Mustek Scanner MFS-12000CX is extern connected to the
> adapter.

Is this SANE 1.0.5?

> The SCSI driver is loaded with the command
> "Modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x140,10,7,0" in the init.d/boot.local
>
> When I boot the system the scanner ist recognized as shown below:
> Host: scsi0 	Channel:00 	Id:06 	Lun:00
> Vendor: MUSTEK 	Model: MFS-12000CX 	Rev. 4.02
> Type: Scanner					ANSI SCSI revision: 00

Same here, only my scanner has version 4.00. No problems with the
latest Mustek backend (1.0-112) here. However, I'm using an Adaptec 2940.

> When I use the command CAT /PROC/SCSI/SCSI the scanner is also
> recognized as shown above, but the ANSI SCSI revivison is shown as: ffffffff

That's ok.

> When I start the preview or to scan, the scanner starts scanning about
> 10 % of the object to scan and is then going back to the start. The result
> of scanning are only stripes.

Are the stripes showing part of the image or only random garbage? Does
this happen in all modes? If you increase buffer size in mustek.conf,
is it more than 10 %?

> I do not get any error messages.

Any messages in syslog? Any unusual output if you set
SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 and SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=255?

> I would appreaciate, if you can help me making the scanner working.

There was a bug in the SCSI handling code that may have bitten you in
this case. It occurs on Linux 2.4 systems in connection with SCSI
controllers that don't do SCSI command queuing. It's fixed in the
newer backends so I propose to update to the latest backend (see
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/).