[sane-devel] Epson 1640US and Sane 1.0.5

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:06:06 -0400

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 07:58:54PM -0400, Roy Murphy wrote:
[ ... ]
> On the console, I get an "[epson] option: fatal error" message.  I have
> some syslog messages "modprobe: can't locate module char-major-81".
> I don't have an alias in conf.modules for char-major-81.  (Very strange.
> Char Major 81 is for video devices of which I have none installed.
> Yet invoking sane from the gimp causes this message in syslog.)

You've probably enabled the v4l backend in dll.conf. When Sane starts it
loads all backends that are listed in dll.conf and tries to initialize
them. If no scanner (or in this case video capture card) is found, the=20
backend just goes away. In order to find a device, the backend has to
try to access the hardware. When a video capture device is accessed, the
kernel tries to load the appropriate kernel module. So the error you=20
see is not really an error.

You can get rid of the message by commenting out all backends in dll.conf
that you are not using.

Karl Heinz

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1--