[sane-devel] lm983x/umax 3400

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:02:23 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 02:23:29AM -0400, rm wrote:
> 	i noticed some talk on the list about an lm983x backend, and i
> wanted to share some information.
> 	i compiled scanner.c in the usb drivers with the 3400 id
> (0x1606, 0x0060) and then used the hp scanjet 2200c test program. the
> motor seems to work correctly (at least in going forward and
> backward).  but the illumination light doesn't come on.
> 	it turns out the astra 3400 uses a non-standard method of
> turning on the light: to turn on the light, you write 0x0f into
> register 0x5a (ie it's turned on via a misc i/o, and not using all the
> mode registers...at least not exclusively).

It looks like quite a view scanners use their own wy of turning on the
light. I think I have heard similar things for another scanner but I
don't remeber which one.

I'm currently working on the plustek backend by Gerhard Jaeger, who
added support for lm983x scanners. I'm trying to get the Mustek
BearPaw 1200 working with this, however I hadn't success until now.
This will take some more time, but I think the other lm983x scanners
can be supported by this code in future.