[sane-devel] "no sane devices found"

Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:06:57 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 02:20:23PM -0700, Mark S Parrish wrote:
> An interesting thing is happening.  When I start xsane, it says something
> like "xsane: no devices available."  Just for grins I did a:
>
> [root@msp mark]# sane-find-scanner
> # Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
> # to a SCSI bus.  It will even find scanners that are not supported
> # at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that is connected to a
> # parallel, USB or other non-SCSI port.
>
> sane-find-scanner: found processor "HP C7670A 3945" at device /dev/sg0
> sane-find-scanner: found processor "HP C7670A 3945" at device /dev/sga
>
> It took almost a full minute to come back with the above 2 lines. I am also
> wondering why it is listed twice.

The long time looks like there are SCSI-related problems. What about
"cat /proc/scsi/scsi"? Maybe you can check termination, cables etc.
The two entries are ok, usually /dev/sga is a link to /dev/sg0.

With "sane-find-scanner -v" you can check at which point the long
waiting time occurs.

> Then I executed xsane again and it gave me the "xsane: no devices
> available" ONCE.  The second time I executed xsane it started just fine.  It
> is almost like I have to kick it to get it started.  Can anyone tell me why?

This also looks like SCSI-problems. I don't think it's related to
xsane or SANE in general. Are there other devices on this SCSI bus?