[sane-devel] HP 6200C not found

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Sep 16 16:38:01 BST 2001

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 10:45:08AM -0400, Matt Harrell wrote:
> The scanner module is loaded.  I configured hp.conf as suggested below,
> but with no luck.

Sorry if I don't write clearly, English is not my native language. So
please ask if you don't understand anything and don't just ignore it.

At first, you must make sure that your scanner is really detected by
the kernel. It doesn't help if SANE is configured perfectly but the
scanner isn't detected by the kernel driver. That's why I asked you to
check if the scanner was detected by the scanner module. You can see
this by an entry like this in /proc/bus/usb/devices:

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 23 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=055f ProdID=0003 Rev= 1.00
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 64mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbscanner
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=   2 Ivl=  0ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=  1ms

This is for a Mustek 1200 USB scanner. The interesting lines are
"Vendor=055f ProdID=0003" (this should be vendor=0x03f0 product=0x0201
for you scanner) and "I: ... Driver=usbscanner". If there is "I: ...
Driver=(none)" your scanner was not detected by the scanner module. In
this case you must give modprobe the options I have written about in
my last message.

You should also see a line in the syslog (/var/log/messages or similar)
like this:

Sep 16 17:19:43 hmg1 kernel: usb.c: usbscanner driver claimed interface d1b19300

> I'm not finding much in the way of documentation for
> using USB scanners in Linux.

Concerning the kernel side, there is some documentation in
usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/ (if you have installed the kernel
source). There are at least two files of interest: scanner.txt and
scanner-hp-sane.txt.

> The documentation with SANE doesn't mention much,

There is a man page sane-usb, but it is rather new and not in the
latest SANE version yet. The manual page for sane-ho mentions how to
set up USB scanners in the hp.conf file at least in version 1.0.5.
That's where I got the information I'm talking about.
USB is mentioned in th SANE FAQ:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html#74

There is also some kernel-related information at
http://www.linux-usb.org/ but I don't know if this is up-to-date.

If you think there is missing documentation, please send us some lines
about this. We appreciate any comments, corrections, and additions.