[sane-devel] Problems with AutoStep.

Michael Chapman mchapman@mchapman.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 05:53:25 +0000

Don't know if this is a bug, or just abuse by the user.

I was scanning in a series of images and giving each one a filename 'by hand'.
The filenames were purely numeric, and all ten digits. (Yep, I was scanning
bookcovers and filing them by ISBNs!)

Problem 1:
	File names beginning with 0 are truncated to nine digits.
	Setting STEP to "0" does not cure this.

Problem 2:
	I started out leaving STEP at 1 (I was afterall re-entering a new file name
for each scan, so was not worried about what xSane thought the next one
should be.)
	I then had an underrun error message for the step counter.
	That did not worry me, but subsequently everytime I entered a new file name
xSane erased it and replaced it by 2147483647.png (that is [2^31 - 1].png, I
think).
	Setting STEP to 0 would not deter it.
	(Rather than restrating xSane, I changed file naming strategy to
1234567890isbn.png.)

Both (that is truncating a filename and not being able to break out of an
increment error even when increment is switched off) strike me as 'errors',
albeit errors of (a) a relatively minor nature and (b) in 'exotic'
circumstances.

Regards,

	Michael Chapman

PS Having used autoincrement for scanning several hundred other images in one
series (and not having had it on my old non-Sane scanner) I do appreciate its
definite merits!  MC