[sane-devel] Binary (worm/virus?) mails claiming to come from SANE developpers

Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:33:39 +0200

Hi,

Just for your information: I got quite a view emails containing binary
attachments that look like a worm or virus intended for MS Windows.
Nothing unusual but this time they claim to be sent by the SANE
mailinglist or other senders in connection to SANE or scanners. Peter
Fales told me he got one pretending to be sent by me so maybe others
have also received such mails.

The emails don't come from the persons or lists indicated in the From:
header. Be careful if you use insecure mailers or operating systems :-)

Examples of From: headers:

support <support@mustek.de>
inet <inet@microsoft.com>
majordomo <majordomo@mostang.com>
sane-devel <sane-devel@mostang.com>

Examples of subjects:
A  funny game
Accepter les cookies pour que ce service
A  WinXP patch
Let's be friends

From the received headers, the emails have been sent through different

hosts at e.g. teleline.es, ornis.com and wanadoo.fr which don't seem
to be open relays but I only had a quick look.