[sane-devel] Sane Error reboots my Computer

Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:36:01 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 10:16:09PM +0200, Christian Nieling wrote:
> I have this problem with my HP Scanjet 4100c and sane. When running
> sane-find-scanner i see the following line:
>
> sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x03f0, product = 0x0101) at
> device /dev/usb/scanner0
>
> So sane has found my scanner, but when i run scanimage my computer just
> reboots without any warning or message and without stopping any services. I
> am running on RedHat 7.2 and i am using sane version 1.0.7. Can anyone please
> tell me what to do about this.

I have never heard about scanimage rebooting a computer until now. If
you don't run scanimage as root I guess there is a kernel bug or
permission problem because a user shouldn't be able to crash or reboot
the kernel.

You can check if this is a problem of the hp backend by commenting out
all the other backends in dll.conf.

Also check that you don't have a link /dev/scanner pointing to any
USB device.

Is hp.conf configured according to man sane-hp?