[sane-devel] New Backend for LM9832 chipset, specifically the HP2200c.

Jaeger, Gerhard gjaeger@sysgo.de
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:15:45 +0200

Wow another attempt to make LM983x based devices work ;-)
I'm a little bit confused about this, as I thought that
there are still three or four other similar backends:
HP2200C on sourceforge (also EPSON1250)
two attempts for CANON (CANON N650U and 670)
Plustek backend (for all Plustek LM9831/2, HP2200/2100, EPSON1250,
Mustek Bearpaw, UMAX3400)...
I think it's a waste of time to let all the good people do always reinvent
the wheel again - oh please just my two cents on that, don't want to
start a flamewar. BUT
Why ain't it possible to checkout existing code, trying to understand
it and make it better or more useable for other devices?
It seems, that the scanner manufacturers went over and use one chipset
for all lowcost scanner, so why are we not able to do the same
for ONE backend for this chipset. We have the source codes from
National Semiconductors, we have source code from Plustek (which is
based on the National Stuff and yet ported to SANE, we have more than
one attempt to make the LM983x stuff work, we even have the possibility
to ask for support at National...
This all looks to me, that everybody first wants to write his own
backend, like programming beginners that want first to write their
own editor ;-)
Can't we change this? Any comments?

Cheers
  Gerhard