[sane-devel] Microtek V6USL: out of memory

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert@interlog.com
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:25:16 -0500

abel deuring wrote:
> "Patrick S. Leung" wrote:
>
>>Hi Erik,
>>
>>I retired using your recommendation and it doesn't help much.  Looks
>>like the SANEI_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI doesn't produces much output, but I do
>>see some low level in /var/log/message ( I did a tail -f
>>/var/log/message before I start sane):
>>
>>Apr 5 13:23:49 localhost kernel:  __alloc_pages: 3-order allocation failed.
>>Apr 5 13:23:49 localhost kernel:  __alloc_pages: 2-order allocation failed.
>> Last message repeat many times
>>

> This sounds indeed like a kernel problem...

Abel,
Those "_alloc_pages" warning in /var/log/messages are ok.
That is the sg driver trying to get 32 KB to build a
scatter gather list, if a contiguous 32 KB of memory is
not available then it tries 16 KB (and potentially
builds a list that has twice as many elements). I'm not
sure why the "memory management" folk in the Linux kernel
consider this is worthy of a log message.

Doug Gilbert