[sane-devel] Problems with Microtek Scanmaker-III, Solaris 8, sgen driver, xsane

Craig Dewick cdewick@sunshack.org
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 19:40:31 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Karsten Festag wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> The 'scsi * * scanner' line is for autodetecting every scanner on the
> scsi subsystem. It is not neccessary if you specify the device file and
> I don't know if the autodetection works on Solaris.
>
> Hope that helps, otherwise please follow Henning's suggestions.

No, it didn't change anything. However, what I have noticed is that
running sane-find-scanner with no device name specified, but using the -v
option, produces a whole list of device names which do not even exist on
my system! I don't have the 'scg' or the 'sg' drivers, but by default the
program tries to locate /dev/scg01 through to /dev/scg2g, and /dev/sg/0 to
/dev/sg/6, but it does not even bother to try using searching for scanners
which might be attached to the Solaris 'sgen' driver which places device
handles for the 'scanner' type in /dev/scsi/scanner.  8-)

That's a bit wierd. Has anyone actually built support for using the 'sgen'
driver into the SANE libraries? It seems that something is expecting the
driver to behave like the 'scg' or 'sg' drivers, as that's the only thing
that, IMHO, could explain the 'invalid argument' error messages being
returned by both xsane and xscanimage when I specify the device name in
backend-name:device-name format.

Regards,

Craig.

--