[sane-devel] BearClaw 1200CU

Sergey Vlasov vsu@mivlgu.murom.ru
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:56:10 +0400

On 12 Apr 2002 13:26:23 +1200
mdew <mdew@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> I thought it was something like this..
>
> http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/plustek.html
>
> (sorry it was BearPaw..my typo)

No, BearPaw 1200 _CU_ is very different from the BearPaw 1200 without
extra letters. BearPaw 1200 TA is again different from 1200 CU, but not
that much - 1200 CU is based on the GT-6801 chip, and 1200 TA uses the
GT-6816 chip. They have slightly different command sets (also because
*CU is a CIS scanner, while *TA is CCD).

BTW, the manual which came with my BearPaw 2400 TA lists four scanners
on its front page - 1200 TA, 1200 CS, 2400 TA, 2400 CS. I presume that
the *CS versions are the same as *TA, but without the transparency
adapter - but that's only a guess. At least for the 2400 TA, the GT-6816
chip can be seen through the scanner glass (in the top left corner).

The table at http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/scanners.html lists known
Mustek scanners (and some scanners manufactured with other labels). But
be careful and check all letters and numbers - often an additional
letter can mean a completely different device.

> > On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 04:17:11PM +1200, mdew wrote:
> > > Im looking at buying a Mustek (USB) "BearClaw 1200CU", just need some
> > > opinions on this...  How well is it supported? Scan Quality,
> > > problems..... etc
> >
> > It is not supported by the latest SANE version. However, there is a
> > stand-alone program at http://www.mivlgu.murom.ru/~vsu/gt68xx/ .

Sorry, I did not have enough time to update it...too much other work.

> > I described what I did to get it running here:
> > http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/scanners.html#GT68XX
> >
> > In short: currently it's only usefull if you don't mind patching your
> > kernel and experimenting. I don't remember the quality of scans
> > however it could scan something :-)

Yes, for the BearPaw 1200 CU (or anything GT6801-based) you will need to
patch the kernel driver - the standard USB scanner driver in Linux does
not work with this chip for now. GT6816-based scanners (BearPaw
{1200,2400} TA) don't need this - but the backend is not yet completed.