[sane-devel] problem in sanei_scsi.c (and hpusbscsi)

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:11:13 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 03:40:45AM +0200, Rene Rebe wrote:
> After some more hours of debugging (+libefence) ... I have not found
> the cause for this segmentation fault (but I did not had a glibc with
> debugging symbols) - this was on a glibc-2.1.3. I decided to proceed
> on a glibc-2.2.5 system to take advantages of the new malloc testing
> facilities. I'm surprised that I can not reproduce thi crashes anymore
> ... - Also not with libefence.

A typical heisenbug (goes away if you look too closely).
Keep in mind that the bug may be at a completely different location
somewhere earlier in the code. I even had bugs in the mustek backend
that cause the next backend that was loaded by dll.c to segfault in
some situations.

There may be a bug in glibc but I guess lots of other people would
have noticed.