[sane-devel] Epson 2450: scanimage produces invalid PNM files

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
13 Apr 2002 10:35:16 -0400

Like Thomas Wenrich <wet@chello.at>, I've seen problems with the
header information specifying a larger file than what is actually
returned.  However, I've also found another problem.

The Epson 2450 has a --depth 16 option to return 16-bits/color.  The
PPM or PGM files produced are byte-flipped, i.e., they are written LSB
first instead of MSB first.  It turns out that XV reads the 16-bit
images in the wrong byte-order so if you use XV to view them,
everything looks fine.  But if you use anything else, e.g., ee,
display, etc., you find they are complete hash.  If you try to change
the depth with pnmdepth the resulting 8-bit/color files are also hash.

I'm not sure if the problem is scanimage or epson-sane is sending the
data in the wrong byte-order.

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD