[sane-devel] coolscan2 in 1.0.8

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:35:01 +0100

Henning,

thanks for checking the code.

> * Please provide a sample config file, maybe just comment out the example entries
>   from README.

Done.

> * From the code:
>     sanei_usb_attach_matching_devices ("usb Nikon *", cs2_attach);
>     sanei_usb_attach_matching_devices ("usb 0x04b0 *", cs2_attach);
>
>   This won't work. The sanei function isn't that intelligent yet. You
>   can only give vendor and product ids, no "*" and no names. See
>   http://sanei.meier-geinitz.de/sanei__usb_8h.html#a8 for documentation.

I have no way of testing this, but from the feedback I got from an
LS-40 user I thought that this worked (not the first version, but the
second). As there is only one USB scanner in question, I've added the
explicit PID now.

> * Concerning the exits mentioned by Frank: It shouldn't segfault
>   either :-) Try to catch the error condition and return
>   SANE_STATUS_NO_MEM to the frontend (or whatever error status is
>   appropriate).

Will check this later today.

> * sane_set_io_mode must return SANE_STATUS_GOOD if m == SANE_FALSE
>   (non-blocking). Not that important, but that's what the standard says.

OK, thanks.

> * Please run your code through "indent -gnu" to get the coding style
>   similar to that of the other SANE backends. See
>   doc/backend-writing.txt.

OK, I'll do that just before the code makes it into SANE CVS. The only
two major deviations are long lines and "{", which I usually put in
the same line as the if/switch/etc.

> * There are some compilation warnings. At least those look more serious:
>     coolscan2.c:1597: warning: unknown conversion type character z' in format
>     coolscan2.c:1597: warning: unknown conversion type character z' in format
>     coolscan2.c:1597: warning: too many arguments for format
>     coolscan2.c: In function cs2_xmalloc':
>     coolscan2.c:2264: warning: unknown conversion type character z' in format
>     coolscan2.c:2264: warning: too many arguments for format
>     coolscan2.c: In function cs2_xrealloc':
>     coolscan2.c:2280: warning: unknown conversion type character z' in format
>     coolscan2.c:2280: warning: too many arguments for format

These come from the "z" type modifier in the output format string. Is
there any clean way of printing a size_t without using this modifier,
which is not supported in ISO C89?

Thanks,

  Andras

Major Andras