[sane-devel] Media MD 9705 Scanner

Martin Moeller martin@martinm-76.dk
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 21:00:17 +0200

Hello everyone.

I took a chance this Friday and bought a Medion MD 9705 Scanner, and much as I expected it isn't supported yet by Sane.
I did some digging and as far as I can tell, it is really an Artec e+48U scanner. No Artec USB scanners are apparently supported yet,
though. Is work being done in this area?

This is the small amount of data I could find:

It's an USB scanner (strangely enough)
It has a Vendor ID of 0x05d8
It has a Product ID of 0x4003
According to the Windows driver .ini file, it's an Artec48U.

Scouring the net, it looks almost exactly like the Artec e+48U, as witnessed here -> http://www.artec.com.tw/artec_e/index.htm
(Click on the Ultima 2000 e+). I am not sure as to the actual hardware of the thing, but it doesn't see to be GT6801 based (it didn't do
anything when I tried the experimental driver at http://www.btinternet.com/~salet/). The scanner described there is supposed to be an
Artec Ultima 2000, though, and that sounds rather a lot like what I have....

Looking at this link (warning, it's long since it's Google cached - the original does not exist :
http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:KgEA10NES0YC:www.artecusa.com/Ultima%25202000%2520Scanner.htm+Artec+ULTIMA+2000
&hl=en) much of the specifications are similar, but the look is not identical.

Here's a better link: http://www.an-labs.com/scanner/u2000.htm

One more link, but still not hardware details, except resolution:
http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:Bty9O3xgMPYC:www.yutron.com.hk/products/artec/ultima2000.htm+Artec+ULTIMA+2000&hl=en

Okay, the Artec web-site seems to be online today, so here's a couple more links (basically the same info):

http://www.artecusa.com/e%2B48U_scanner.htm

In case windows drivers actually tell something more about this device than what I've found, they can be found here:
http://www.artec-us.com/Driver2.htm

If I can help with more information/testing, I'd be happy to, but I'm afraid I cannot program the backend myself.

As far as I can piece together, the Ultima 2000 is a predecessor of Ultima 2000 e+ (also known as e+ 48U) -- Also known as Medion MD
9705 and who knows what else.

I also tried the mustek_usb backed in the hope that it was compatible with earlier Aldi scanners but, alas, no such luck.

So: Where should I go from here?

Regards,

/Martin Moeller.
--
NeoMail - Webmail that doesn't suck... as much.
http://neomail.sourceforge.net