[sane-devel] GUI for sane configuration

Yves Duret yduret@mandrakesoft.com
15 Apr 2002 16:24:19 +0200

Oliver Rauch <oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de> writes:

> I also thought about a sane GUI configuration tool about 2 years ago.
> But this is not the correct approach. The backends and the backend
> configuration files have to come in a way that all scanners work
> without any user interaction. The sane standard allows this.
>
> But this only works when the users send enough feedback to
> the programmers so that programmers know what they have to change.

you can have a look at drakscanner (formely named scannerdrake in Mandrake
8.2). It operates with two modes:
- either you launch it, it tries to autodetect your scanner and configures it,
if nothing is found (scsi probing is not implemented yet) you manually select
your scanner.
- either you hotplug a new scanner and thanks devfs/hotplug/dynamic
scannerdrake is launched to configure sane and create an icon on the desktop
(link to xsane).
All is released under GPL, written in perl with the Mandrake API (MDK::Common
and interactive for gui) but can easely ported to another type of toolkit. It
uses a ScannerDB that i build myself using sane *.desc, scanner.c kernel
driver and info from this ml/user (mainly mandrake's ones) feedback.
If you want further info feel free to ask me.
--
Yves Duret
yduret@mandrakesoft.com