[sane-devel] Cannot run xsane 0.84 and 0.85 with the current CVS backends 1.0.7

Christian Fughe Christian Fughe <c.m.fughe@wtb.tue.nl>
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:55:18 +0200

Hello,

First, here is what just works fine for me:

1.) Stock xsane-0.84.tar.gz with sane-backends-1.0.7.tar.gz from 20 Mar
    2002. The mustek backend is patched according the email from Henning
    on 4 Apr 2002 to make color scan available.

2.) The current CVS sane-backends, if used by scanimage.

Second, the difficulties:

1.) Xsane-0.85 shows garbled text in place of German umlauts in the menus
    and messages.

2.) I do scan over a local Ethernet. As soon as I install the current CVS
    version of sane-backends on the frontend machine and uninstall, remake
    and install xsane 0.84/0.85, I get the following misbehaving of
    xsane-0.84 and xsane-0.85. This misbehaving does not change, when I
    install the current CVS sane-backends as well on the scanning machine.

    a.) The preview ends with the warning message about the backend,
        sending more data than expected and the preview image locks as if
        it suffers from the stair-case effect of bad text printing. A
        vertical line rotates about 15 degrees.

    b.) Xsane does not return from scanning Linart, Halftone, and Gray
        scans. It seems as if xsane waits for more data at the end of
        a scan. Color scans are possible.

My Configuration:

SuSE Linux 7.1
kernel upgrade to 2.4.18 on the frontend machine
kernel 2.2.18 on the scanning machine
sane-1.0.7
scanner is Mustek 6000CX scsi

The debug messages of

SANE_DEBUG_NET=5 scanimage -L
SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=5 scanimage -L

identifies the backends as following:

sane-backends from tar.gz:

[net] sane_init: SANE net backend version 1.0.6 from sane-backends-1.0.7
[mustek] SANE mustek backend version 1.0 build 118 from sane-backends-1.0.7

sane-backends from CVS:

[net] sane_init: SANE net backend version 1.0.8 from  sane-backends-1.0.7-cvs
[mustek] SANE mustek backend version 1.0 build 121 from sane-backends-1.0.7-cvs

If the complete log files with special DEBUG options are necessary, no
problem, I can do that.

Christian Fughe <c.m.fughe@wtb.tue.nl>