[sane-devel] HP scanner headaches

Bob Sully rcs@malibyte.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:46:44 -0700

Greetings:

I have an HP 6300C scanner (using the SCSI interface; it's device 6 on
an Adaptec 2940U2W) with transparency adapter.  The machine is running
Mandrake 8.1 with custom-compiled Linus 2.4.17 kernel, SANE 1.0.6 with
XSane 0.84.  A couple of strange things happen regularly (minor problem
first):

(1) Xsane can't find the scanner initially.  Find-scanner gives:

[root@titanic: /home/rcs]$ find-scanner
find-scanner: found processor "HP C7670A 3925" at device /dev/scanner
find-scanner: found processor "HP C7670A 3925" at device /dev/sg4
find-scanner: found processor "HP C7670A 3925" at device /dev/sge

I'm not sure why it's found twice; /dev/scanner is linked thusly:

[root@titanic: /home/rcs]$ lsl /dev/scanner
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root   root   8 Apr 16 19:03 /dev/scanner -> /dev/sg4

Running xsane gives the "No devices found" message the FIRST time; the
second time it will usually find it.

(2) More of a headache:  Normal-mode scans work just fine.  However, the
XPA doesn't work under Xsane at all.  After initiating the scan, the XPA
light comes on, the scan head moves a bit and then quits; after about
two minutes it times out, Xsane gives me a "device I/O error" message,
after which the scanner is totally inaccessible; neither Xsane nor
find-scanner can find it again unless I reboot Linux.  At first I
thought it might be a SCSI bus problem, as once XSane hung and I had to
kill the process, after which I got a long series of SCSI disk I/O
errors, necessitating a reboot.  However, I don't believe this is the
case.  This box also has Windoze 2K on it, which I don't use often but
as it had the HP scanner software installed, I fired it up, and it runs
the XPA without a hitch.

Thoughts??  Any debugging info I can send which might help?
Thanks in advance, and thanks for the effort you're putting into this
project.

-- Bob --

Bob Sully - Malibyte Consulting
Simi Valley, California, USA
www.malibyte.com

"Years of dedication, and a natural inclination" - J. Buffett