[sane-devel] sane under cygwin

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:17:00 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 09:34:36PM +0100, Jim George wrote:
> > XSane runs on Windows using cygwin. It can't use local scanners so you
> > can only go the other way round. XSane is linked against the net
> > backend, so this one is ported, too.
> >

> I'm confused..if there's a saned then it must talk to a local device?

No, saned does only exist on Unix. You can contact the Unix saned from
Windows XSane but no saned on Windows.

> > By the way: Would it be possible to write a TWAIN-SANE bridge? That
> > means, accessing TWAIN scanners on a Windows system by SANE on a Unix
> > system?
> >
> I thought this already existed.  I used precisely this when I was using SANE
> on a Linux box.
> I believe it's called sane-twain.

That's the other way round. You can use scanners on a Unix system by a
TWAIN application on the windows system with sane-twain.

I want to us e.g. XSane on a Linux system and contact a scanner on a
Windows system. But I don't think it's possible.