[sane-devel] Two USB attached scanners

Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:52:46 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 10:15:04AM +0100, Andy H Anderson1 wrote:
>       I have an Epson 1240u and a Nikon Coolscan LS-40 both attached to my
> machine via USB.
> I have just received SuSE 8.0 and was happily installing it last night.
> It keeps telling me I can only have ONE scanner attached via SANE and toi
> choose which one to install.
> Surely this cannot be true!

Just to clearify this: SANE can use an unlimited number of scanners
(and other devices) by design. Some backends can only use one scanner
at the same time but most support more than one.

Maybe the SuSE installer is just not smart enough :-)

> How should I setup my system to support both scanners?

See the other answers. Also make sure, that the backends you need
aren't commented out in dll.conf.

> Alright, I promise not to USE both at the same time.

Usually you can even do this. I tried this some time ago and managed to scan
from 5 devices at the same time (2 SCSI, 2 USB and 1 with a
proprietary card).