[sane-devel] sane/xsane on Mac OS X?

Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:07:35 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 12:47:27PM +0200, Olivier Chararas wrote:
> I also tried a few days ago to buil SANE 107 on OSX 1.4 and
> except for canon (which I commented out temporarily) it seems to build
> and install.
>
> BUT :
> if I then try "scanimage --list-devices" it seems to run OK but no
> device is identified (i didn't dreamed of my Apple OneScanner first
> time...), not even the pnm pseudo-device.

pnm is diabled by default. If you want it for testing, run

./configure --enable-pnm-backend

See man sane-pnm, PROBLEMS, ./configure --help for details.

> there seems to be no pnm library similar to, say, Apple OneScan.
>
> furthermore, although i tried to understand the architecture and build
> process, i'm clueless about the make output :

> installing libsane-apple.la in /usr/local/lib/sane...
> /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsane-apple.lai
> /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-apple.la
> /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsane-apple.a
> /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-apple.a
> ranlib /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-apple.a
> chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-apple.a

Looks like only the static libraries have been installed. Maybe
libtool doesn't support shared libs on OS X? You should get a fairly
large scanimage binary (> 2 MB) that includes all the libs.

> Am i missing some step ? Any hint please ?

SCSI (and USB) support for OS X is not yet implemented. Added to TODO
list. But I guess this must be done by somebody who actually uses OS X.

> About managing SCSI, you can find sample code at
> http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Archive/Devices_and_Hardware/SCSI/SCSI_Inquiry.htm
> (old manager)
> or
> http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Devices_and_Hardware/SCSI.htm
> (manager 4.3)
>
> They are running in Classic but none of them can see my OneScan.

Patches for sanei_scsi.c and configure.in (to detect the OS X headers)
are welcome.