[sane-devel] Re: sane build on tru64 unix 5.1A

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:27:05 +0100

> Our webmaster has one and it wouldn't hurt.  Appreciate your insight
> however.

OK, in this case I'd try getting it to work with gphoto2 first, if
that fails, SANE will not be able to do any better.

> ->> Do I need ieee1284.h or something else.
> ->For gphoto2? I don't think so. If you have a parallel-port scanner,
> ->probably yes.
> I'll worry about that later.  For now, I'll pass.

Actually, I just realized that you may be running towards a dead end
here. What is the hardware you want to use with SANE? What connection
does it use? A while back, I tried to run SANE on Tru64 myself. I
failed, here is why:

- SCSI: officially (DEC/Compaq), SCSI scanners are not supported by
  Tru64. SANE does have support for Tru64 support, but it's rather
  fragile (at least 1.0.4 wasn't stable on Tru64 4.0E, IIRC).

- USB and IEEE-1394 are unsupported by Tru64 anyway, as far as I know.

- I don't think you can do anything useful with the Tru64 parallel
  port apart from printing to a printer.

- that leaves the only useable port the serial port, and I know that
  that works under Tru64 pretty much the same way as under Linux.

The way I do it at the moment is to have a Linux machine act as a scan
server, using the SCSI bus to connect to a scanner. The Tru64 machines
just use the net backend to connect to it. If you use a similar
set-up, you will not need all the ieee1284, jpeg, and gphoto2 stuff
under Tru64 anyway. And most of this should be trivial under Linux
(which runs on the scan server).

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/