[sane-devel] UMAX AstraSlim AS6000 -- TECO?

Frank Zago fzago@greshamstorage.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:18:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Major A wrote:

> > BTW, sometimes it seems to make sense to open the windows driver with a hex
> > editor, before opening the scanner.
> > E.g. for the tevion scanner I'm playing with at the moment, there's a file
> > called Artec48.sys in windows/system32/drivers. The hex editor reveals
> > something like:
> > "Grand Tech GT680x Scanner USB Driver". Maybe the umax driver contains
> > similar information ?
>
> The Win$ driver says TECO VM650C in the various system files (oh, what
> a mess...).
>
> Frank, have you heard of this thing before?

No.
But see the pictures of the Umax AstraSlim 600:
  http://www.zonemicro.com/article.php?ID=281
and a picture of the Teco VM 6509C:
  http://www.tecoimage.com.tw/English_Home_Page/Products_Page/prod-VM6509C.htm

They look like identical except for the color. So that Umax scanner is
definitly a rebadged Teco.

Teco also have a VM6509 which has the id 080D-0102. That 6509C is
probably an evolution.

In the vm6509 driver there is that string:
  TECO VM6509
The five Teco scsi scanner have a similar string in their inquiry. So
may be that scanner is a scsi one with a usb interface. A USB trace with
usbsnoop would confirm that.

Frank.