[sane-devel] Mustek 600IICD

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:18:34 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 12:49:45PM +0200, yardbird wrote:
[600 II CD at 2910]
> The problem is that it works very slowly and freezes
> the machine while in use. A friend of mine told me this could be a
> termination issue; when I use the scanner without termination and with
> Windows and the ISA adapter, though, everything works fine (is this because
> the ISA adapter is built to accept just a periphal and thus does not need
> termination?). So the questions are:

Theoretically, the scanner must be terminated with its own controller,
also. Practically, that wasn't ever necessary in my experience.
However, I also tried Adaptec 2940, NCR and other controllers and
never had problems without termination. At least when only one device
was connected.

> 1) can this be a termination problem?

Possibly. But the chances are low in my experience. At least I haven't
got a report mentioning such problems until now.

> 2) if I have to terminate the scanner, can I terminate it on the other
> connector, the one which looks like a parallel port (and what kind of scsi
> connection is that)?

Yes. You can also use a pass-through terminater on the centronics-like
port (looks like an adapter with two connectors).

> I have no other switches on the scanner, just the scsi
> id selector;

Yes, the scanner has no internal termination.

> 3) are there any parameters I should pass to insmod when loading aic7xxx.o
> (the scsi adapter module)?

I haven't tried but there are tow modules aic7xxx based controllers:
aic7xxx and aic7xxx_old. Try both.

Documentation is in linux/drivers/scsi/README.aic7xxx. I don't know if
any option makes sense in your case.

> Thanks for your assistance, your help is really appreciated. Please answer by
> mail since I am not subscribed to the list.

Ok but usually you can't write to the list if you are not subscribed.