[sane-devel] SaneTwain and HP2200C

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm@lineone.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:29:39 +0100

Hi all,

   I have a scanner attached to a server (HP 2200C attached to a Linux Dell
Server (Slackware 8.1), and the plustek backend seems to have some strange
issues (especially with sanetwain).

   1.  The Scanner takes approx 40s to warm up the lamp, before it does
anything - e.g. hit the preview button, wiat 50 secs, start receiving data,
draw your box, hit the scan button, wait 50 secs, start receiving data.  Is
there really no way of receiving the temperature of the lamp, and not just
switch it on and wait a pre-specified amount of time?

   2. When propogated over the network, the scanner does scan, but the
delay mentioned means that sanetwain just is not usable,  I think because
of a network timeout waiting for data.  I can see several solutions to
this, and will elucidate on the easy option and what I consider to be the
Good (TM) option :

   a. (easy option) alter sanetwain to increase the timeout value
   b. (Good(tm) option) add to the network (and backend) protocol so that
when the backend is waiting for something, it can be pinged (in the IP
sense), to check it hasn't hanged.  This probably involves lots of work,
but would mean that the front ends could give a better clue as to what is
happening - and maybe a status message could be passed (In this case "Lamp
warming up") so that the user knows that the program hasn't locked
up.  Because this would change the protocol, sanetwain would have to be
updated, and the network timeout would not be a problem (send ping packet,
recieve pong packet).

Okay, so thats my 2p worth, lets hear what other people think - and yes,
you can flame me for offering design criticisms without offering to do any
coding, but my skills at the coding level lie within the confines of
Pascal, and not within networking (although I am getting better at it, it
still foxes me sometimes).

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

jabber - joran@amessage.de