[sane-devel] SaneTwain and HP2200C

Jaeger, Gerhard gerhard@gjaeger.de
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:27:27 +0200

On Wednesday, 14. August 2002 15:15, Martyn Ranyard wrote:
[SNIP]
> Great, we're really getting there now.  Is there a way of switching the
> lamp on without doing a scan, so when the user launches their "scanning
> wizard" the lamp can switch on, and then the preview goes ahead (not very
> well, but enough to see what's on the bed), and by the time they actually
> hit the scan button, the lamp will be warm?

Currently not, it might be no problem to alter this behaviour i.e.
to implement a switch that causes the driver to switch the lamp on
upon statup. As workaround, you can disable the lamp-off feature
by setting this value in plustek.conf to 0, then the lamp should
stay on. To switch it on, you have to to one initial scan...

> I would like to actually leave the lamp on all the time, but will this
> really degrade the life of the scanner?

I don't think so. AFAIK is the main problem the switching. The lifetime
of a scanner becomes shorter the often you switch this thing on and off...
But to be honest, I can't imagine, that it's good for such a lamp to
be on throughout a day...

Gerhard