[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 5p on RH7.3 Linux?

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:37:11 +0200

Otto J. Makela wrote:
> In principle, the HP ScanJet 5p should be a easy, SCSI-attached
> scanner well-supported by Linux.
>
> But no, I can't quite get it working when attached to a BusLogic SCSI
> card I have on my RH7.3 machine (I didn't even bother trying the
> pseudo-SCSI card that came with the scanner):
>
> # uname -a
> Linux tigger.otto.net 2.4.18-4smp #1 SMP Thu May 2 18:32:34 EDT 2002 i686 unknown
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
> # rpm -qa | fgrep -i sane
> sane-backends-1.0.7-6.1
> xsane-0.84-2
> xsane-gimp-0.84-2
> sane-frontends-1.0.7-2
> # cat /proc/scsi/BusLogic/0
> ***** BusLogic SCSI Driver Version 2.1.15 of 17 August 1998 *****

Otto,

I'm afraid that you're out of luck with the combination kernel 2.4.x /
Buslogic adapter / HP scanner. The Buslogic driver doesn't properly
handle data overruns/underruns in the 2.4 kernels -- but HP backend
can't predict the precise length of the data returned for a certain SCSI
  command, so data underruns or overruns can't be avoided.

Abel