[sane-devel] Coolscan users -- please help

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 04:35:01 +0100

Hi all,

I need your help! If you have access to a Nikon Coolscan that is
supported by the coolscan2 backend (that is, anything since the
LS-30), and have a Q60 target or similar picture (it only has to
contain as many saturated colours as possible), could you please do
the following:

- Using the coolscan2 backend, determine the exposure times for which
  a fully transparent slide (empty mount, for instance) is rendered as
  pretty much perfect white (value 255 for 8-bit scans). Since values
  are clipped by the ADC, please make sure the exposure time is the
  shortest that gives you values around 255.

- Scan the colour chart (Q60 or similar), in 10/12/14-bit mode, with
  neutral LUT (in xsane, contrast and brightness on 0, gamma on 1),
  and with infrared enabled. Set the exposure values to the one
  determined in the first step.

Then send me the two files (RGB and IR). Resolution is not important,
300dpi or so is perfectly adequate, just make sure you use PNG or any
other non-lossy format. Of course, I'll need to know that type of film
you are using!

If you ask yourself what this is for: it's for the infrared defect
removal stuff -- so please help if you can.

Thanks,

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net