[sane-devel] SANE i18n: only one translation file per language?

Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:24:37 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00:36PM +0100, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> I'll make that change locally for German and send a patch so everyone
> can try it.

Ok, here is it (German only).

Patch for XSane 0.89 to load sane-backends.mo if (e.g.) sane-mustek.mo
is not available. This is a quick hack, Oliver will probably have a
better solution :-)
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/xsane-trans.dif

German translations:
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends.de.po
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends.mo

Patch for sane-backends against current CVS. Warning, it removes all
your po/*.po files.
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends-trans.dif

As input files I used all source files that have SANE_I18N somewhere.

$ cd po

To update the pot file, use:
$ make sane-backends.pot

To update the translation file when a source code file was changed:
$ make sane-backends.de.po

To generate the .mo file:
$ make sane-backends.de.mo

To install the .mo files
$ make install

I generated the initial sane-backends.de.po by concatenating all the
existing backend.de.po files. I had to resolve the following
conflicts. After the --> is the translation I chose, but it's open for
discussion.

Gray           Graustufen, Grau -> Grau
Enhancement    Farbverbesserung, Farbkorrektur, Qualittsverbesserung,
               Verbesserung --> Farbverbesserung
Geometry       Scanbereich, Geometrie --> Scanbereich
Scan Mode      Scan Modus, Scanmodus --> Scanmodus
Transparency Adapter Durchlicht, Durchlichteinheit --> Durchlichteinheit
Binary         Schwarzweiss, Strichzeichnung --> Schwarzweiss
Advanced       Ertweitert, Erweiterte Optionen --> Erweitert

Lot's of translations are missing or fuzzy (->mostly wrong). But we
can fix this later.

Some backends (umax_pp, umax1220u) seem to translate the option NAMES.
Don't do that (only title + desc).

Otherwise it works fine for me with xsane.

Everything but artec_eplus48u (UTF8) is iso-8859-1. Should we use
iso-8859-1 or UTF8 for the German translation? Ihaven't converted
anything yet before we decide about it.