[sane-devel] SANE i18n: only one translation file per language?

Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:53:43 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 12:19:29PM +0100, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> We only use one translation file per language that includes all
> translations from all the backends. E.g. sane-backends.de.po.
> Currently, we use one file per backend per language and an additional
> saneopts.??.po which translates saneopts.h.

By the way: What about the license of the files? Do they have one/can
they have one/must they have one?

I mean, the translations are somehow a derived work of part of the
backends. Can they have a different licnese?

* GPL
  - not really applicable, beacuse it's for software
  - means that non-GPL programs can't use the translations while
    they could use most backends
* GPL + SANE exception
  - not really applicable, beacuse it's for software
  - same license as most backend use
* GNU FDL (GNU Free Documentation License)
  - better suited for text files, but it's not really a "documentation"
* something else

Most files currently don't have any license so I guess they are GPLed.
Only Frank Zago's files are GNU FDLed explicitely.

Can we agree on one license and add the text of this license somewhere?

Otherwise I'll just keep the current situation. The merge doesn't
seem to cause a conflict, because only the fernch tarnslations (and
all of them) have the GNU FDL license.