[sane-devel] Solaris and find_scanner

Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:28:36 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'm cc'ing the answer to the list.

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:39:49PM -0500, Bruce Riddle wrote:
> >Does the scanimage command mentioned below work immediately after
> >reboot?
> No, it does work the second time.

So it may be an issue of the operating system. I don't know anything
about how SCSI works on Solaris so you are on your own here.

> >>I can however do:
> >>scanimage -d epson:/dev/scsi/processor/c1t5d0 >/tmp/scan
> >>it works fine.
> >>
> >>xsane and xscanimage can't find it tho.
> >>
> >>Some of the system traces (using truss) I did seem to open the
> >>epson.conf file
> >>but never the device.
> >

> >That doesn't depend on the frontend. All the hardware stuff is done by
> >the backend, so the behaviour should be the same.
> >
> >Try "xsane epson:/dev/scsi/processor/c1t5d0".
>
> This did not help.  Still no devices found.

That's suspicious because if scanimage -d something works, xsane
something should also work because they use the same backend.

> >Add epson:/dev/scsi/processor/c1t5d0 to epson.conf. After that, you
> >shouldn't need to specify the device file name on the command line.
>
> This sorta helped.  I had to add:
> /dev/scsi/processor/c1t5d0 EPSON
> to my epson.conf.

Sorry, my fault. The epson: was clearly wrong.

> Thanks for the ideas,  I at least can scan now.  If you want
> to work thru the backend finding the scanner I'll be as helpfull as I can.

The SCSI autodetection only works on Linux and a few other operating
systems currently. If you want to implement it for Solaris, have a
look at sanei/sanei_scsi.c and the function sanei_scsi_find_devices().