[sane-devel] Fwd: Re: umax 2100S / sane-1.0.9 does not work, sane.1.0.3 does work

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:56:16 +0100

Marek Blaszkowski wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 21:06:07 +0100
> abel deuring <adeuring@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Marek,
> >
> > the debug output indicates that your linux box has a really ancient
> > version of sg.h in /usr/include/scsi; with a newer version, we would get
> >
> > a bit more detailed error messages and better error handling. I am not
> > sure, if this will fix the problem, but we might get a step further.
> >
> > Please copy sg.h from /usr/src/include/linux (or whereever else your
> > kernel sources reside) to /usr/include/scsi and compile Sane again.
>
> OK, but configure says:
> checking for /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h... (cached) yes
>
> So I thought it takes /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h not old
> /usr/include/scsi files. Anyway I created links from /usr/include/scsi
> to current linux scsci headers.

Well, the debug out you sent indicates that the version of sg.h used for
compiling the Sane package does not define the macro SG_IO and that
config.h does not define the macro HAVE_SG_TARGET_STATUS. Both are
indications that an old version of sg.h is used.

> After compilning & installing -> the same result.
> Scaner starts scanning it moves about 2cm and stoped with kernel mesg:
>
> ncr53c810a-0-<5,0>: extraneous data discarded.
> ncr53c810a-0-<5,0>: COMMAND FAILED (89 0) @c1319800.

Do you get more debug output for SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 ? I am mainly
interested in lines containing "target status: XX host status: XX
driver status: XX". This debug output is only produced, if the complier
uses a not too old version of sg.h .

Abel