[sane-devel] SANE2 standard revisited: i18n

Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:31:24 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 11:12:13PM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> > Add a new function
> >
> > "4.3.14 sane_get_translation
>
> I suggest to use a function "sane_get_file". We should be able to download:
> - backend translation files
> - backend documentation files
> - may be other files

I know, but I don't like it very much. I should have mentioned that in
the proposal.

The reason is: The "handle" is the filename. Why should the frontend
need to know about filenames? E.g. what's the name of the German
translation file for the current backend? Ok, with SANE2 we know the
backend name. But is it sane-backends.de.gmo or sane-backends.de.mo or
sane-mustek.de.gmo? No need to know with my approach.

I'm not sure about documentation. Using SANE as a network file system
seems a bit overkill for me. Do we really need to transfer
documentation through the net? If I want to use the remote lpd on some
server, I don't expect it to deliver its documentation.

And I'm not sure if such a generic function doesn't open a hole for
backends to transfer some image data in a proprietary format to some
special frontend.

> Please also take a look at:
> http://www.xsane.org/sane2/sane2-api-todo
>
> There are several suggestions that are not
> included into the sane2 proposal!

I know :-) As written in my first posting, here is an updated list
with some additional entries from previous discussions:
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/sane2/sane2-api-todo

bye,
  Henning