[sane-devel] Erratic problems with saned/xsane

John Coppens jcoppens@usa.net
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 01:47:17 -0300

Hi all.

I've installed xsane and saned at a friends' offices - for a non-profit
foundation - and had a few strange problems.

I installed saned under inetd, as I didn't want non-priviledged users
to run xsane. I then tested xsane, and quite a few problems:

Xsane starts up well, even though I'd rather have have it _not_ check
the parallel port, if I mean to have it run through the daemon. I didn't
find how to do that.

But then, communication between saned and xsane seems to be very
unreliable. Erratically, I get the famous 'invalid argument' messages,
when I try for example to change the mode from gray to color, or change
the resolution. It's just unpredictable. Sometimes it works, sometimes
not. I restarted xsane many times, and each time it behaves differently.
Sometimes it works completely, sometimes not al all.

All versions are the last ones - fresly downloaded. Kernel is 2.4.18,
and the scanner is an Epson ActionScanner II (GT-5000M). All points
to unreliable comm between xsane and saned...

I'd appreciate suggestions.

John