[sane-devel] devices and backends

Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:15:27 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:37:18PM +0100, John Doe wrote:
> is it right, I have von 100 percent security that in every situation
> the -d command in scanimage runs!?

I don't know what you mean by "every situation".

The -d command is an option of scanimage, so it's always present. If
you use it, the argument is used as the name parameter of the
sane_open() call. See the standard for what it means.

Most backends use device names for that parameter, but that's not
guaranteed.

If you want to use scanimage, use scanimage -L to get a list of
devices and select one from the list.

I gues you biggest problem will not be the -d option, but to make sure
that the scanner is detected by the USB or SCSI system.

> My program is for blind person like an windows reading system only on
> the better OS!! hehehe!

There are some windows/unix gateways for SANE, see the website. Maybe
that won't work for the blind, however.

> My biggest problem are the scanner and the speech!! I develop this
> system on PPC!! and their are not many TTS!!
> The scanner is, that I must automatic every point, like write into the
> conf files and so on!!

Just provide a list of scanners that are supported and make sure that
the backends do autodetection. E.g. don't support most parport
scanners if you don't want to do manual fiddling with the config files.

> I have hope that this point is realized with scanimage!!

Scanimage has nothing to do with it. It's the backend's choice how to
implement the SANE_Device name. E.g. it can be a port address (0x378)
or a number (1).

> We make an system inclusive the OS Linux or BSD!! So that the blind
> person only must put the CD in the drive!!

Good luck!