[sane-devel] SANE2 standard revisited: image data format

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:33:20 +0100

> The difference isn't so much the data format as the code flow:  all the
>  planar data is returned after a single sane_start(), and the multi-fra=
me
>  flags for determining which 'frame' is currently being scanned can be
>  removed from the standard.

But you can not expect that the order of the colors is red-green-blue,
so you again need a way to tell the frontend which color/channel is
transmitted.

> I understand, and it's not an issue.
> The PLANAR mode would still have N channels, just transmitted one chann=
el
>  at a time instead of sample-interleaved.
>
> I envision three SANE_Frame types:
>
>   o SANE_FRAME_PACKED  --- sample-interleaved channels, following all t=
he
>                             current RAW specs.
>   o SANE_FRAME_PLANAR  --- planar channels, following all the current R=
AW
>                             specs.
>   o SANE_FRAME_MIME    --- opaque image data, with a MIME type.
>
> Each sane_start() cycle would return a single frame, and each frame wou=
ld
>  be a complete image.

I do not see that this improves anything. You rename several things
but you do not change a lot. And to remove sane_start in between
does not make anything easier.

Oliver

--=20
http://www.xsane.org