[sane-devel] scanport 3000 scanner

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:24:47 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 04:55:59PM -0600, Ira Childress wrote:
> Please bear with me while I try to get this scanner to work. It's a
> Scanport 3000 from Microtek, but shows up as a Visioneer with the
> usbview program.

The Linux list of vendor/product ids also lists your scanner in the
Visioneer part of the file but with the "microtek" label.

> Each one of these appeared to be able to talk to the scanner and two of
> them actually returned the correct Vendor and Product codes.  Does this
> mean that the canon630u or plustek could be "tweaked" to work or am I
> just grasping at straws?

That doesn't mean anything. Every USB backend should be able to find
out which vendor and product ids the scanner is using.

> I've got about 4 days left before I can't return the scanner to CompUSA
> for a refund.  Does anyone believe that this can be made to work?

If you could find out, which scan chips the scanner is using, it would
be easier to tell if it's supported by an existing backend. But I
guess you're nor allowed to open the scanner and give it back after
that :-)

You could also use usbsnoopy under Windows to find out, which
protocoll the scanner speaks. But that means some work. And if nobody
knows that kind of protocoll it would be up to you to write a driver :-)