[sane-devel] option size = 0 allowed ?

Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:42:04 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 07:29:09PM +0100, Michael Herder wrote:
> > It's not allowed. But at least the mustek backend does it also. And I
> > don't know an easy work-around if you don't want to specify options
> > for every combination of halftone pattern dimensions.
>
> I'm just wondering, how one would present such an option to the user ...

I don't even know how the patterns look like :-)

> (Maybe you can integrate all known backend hacks in your test backend :-)

I try to integrate everything that is allowed by the standard but not
more. It's difficult enough for the frontends to cope with all the
stuff that is allowed. I'll bet no frontend can do everything the test
backend provides currently. Well, I better won't bet because I
haven't checked quiteinsane for some time now :-)

> > Changing constraints is also not allowed in SANE1, but it's done by
> > quite some backends.
>
> .. for extensions to the SANE standard, read the source code ?

For "extensions" to the SANE standard, don't use them :-)
But as you see from Oliver's answer, my "not allowed" is controversial
so it should be defined more clearly.