[sane-devel] need help with HP6350 USB Scanjet - please

Reid Vail rsv869@adelphia.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:31:14 -0500

I've been trying for a least a month to get an HP6350c USB Scanjet to
work. I'm running a SuSE 8.1 Personal distro, which comes with a SANE
implementation of 1.0.8-47.

I think (but can't say for sure) that some part of the install of the
unit (via YAST) isn't working because it doesn't even "test" correctly.
  However YAST does correctly identify it.

When I run xscanimage I get this output:

[xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting
something different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
detected by sane-find-scanner (if appropriate). Please read the
documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
manpages).

But when I run sane-find-scanner I get this output:

sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x03f0, product = 0x0601)
at device /dev/usb/scanner0
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x03f0, product = 0x0601)
at device /dev/usbscanner

I make no claims that I'm not missing something obvious!  I just don't
get it.  For what it's worth, I know the unit works because it runs
under Windoze 2K.

Thanks in advance.

Reid Vail